Friday, April 13, 2007



"Hey, this isn't Camp Wannabe. There's no kite flying here!" I quip as D squared and I walk behind the Alamo to investigate mysterious kite flying activity.
Two Army folks start laughing with us. "The desert wind is perfect." they shot back.
"Who are you guys with?" we ask.
"PsyOps, sir." she said.
"Yea, and I bet you flying Hello Kitty kites to confabulate the insurgents."
They both start laughing hysterically and say "Um, since you mentioned it, look up!" Sure enough, she was flying a Hello Kitty kite!
Psychological Operations----I should have known better.

PSYOP are planned operations to convey selected information and indicators to audiences to influence their emotions, motives, objective reasoning, and ultimately group behavior. PSYOP is one of the oldest weapons in the arsenal of man, and is considered a non-lethal weapons system.
It has been said the pen is mightier than the sword. When used properly, words can be an inspiration to motivate others:
"Remember the Alamo"
"Give me liberty or give me death"
"I regret I have but one life to give for my Country"
"Ask not what your Country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your Country."
credit Major Ed Ruse (ret) for the educational piece on PSYOP
http://www.psywarrior.com/psyhist.html

Ok, so PSYOP wasn't really using Hello Kitty to win the hearts and minds of insurgents, but it provided great comic relief.

Interesting side note: United States PSYOP units/soldiers are prohibited by law from conducting PSYOP missions on domestic audiences. Anyone ever stationed overseas has invariably suffered through those cheesy Armed Forces Network pentagon-sponsored commercials (no public advertising is allowed on government media stations). Someone tell me those "motivational" commercials aren't crafted by PSYOP......I'm not buying it.

No comments: