Monday, April 2, 2007

Mild trauma trickled in all day. Head bumps here, superficial penetrating shrapnel there.....this evening after chow: devestating. Young Iraqi boy comes in after getting run over by a truck. His left thigh was torn in half, with muscle and connective tissue bulging out of a hasty field dressing. Serious head injuries we just didn't have time to evaluate. We tried in vain to get IV lines started on him, but no success. Breathing became slower as it crept towards agonal, and we just got an intra-osseous line as he crashed on us. Heroics kicked in, and we attempted cardiac massage, tried giving blood through the osseous lines, and resorted to intra-ventricular fluid/blood administration. He was anoxic for 10 minutes and we just couldn't stand to give up-reality caught up with us. It was all I could do to compose myself as I gently held his leg (I was running fluids/blood and medications at the foot of the bed) and lifted his innocent Spirit up to the good Lord..........Only His strength keeps me going; I know it isn't mine. Can't express how deeply hurt and vulnerable the team feels when we can't save a child...............

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lt Goforth:

I want you to know that I have passed your name along to some friends who are very strong prayers.

Please know that there are many people praying for your safety.

Thank you so much for what you are doing, I know this is a taxing situation for you and your team, but I am glad that you were there with that child at that moment.

Wow! Are we a blessed country or what to have men like you guys doing the things you all are doing??? Thank you, thank you, thank you - can't say it enough!

Carl said...

Thanks Missy.......

Bag Blog said...

Funny that you should mention "His strength". I have been learning lots lately about the power of God and could share all sorts of good words, but in keeping it simple: Rom 14:4 ...The Lord is able to make him (His servant) stand.

Keep standing.