Friday, March 2, 2007

Imminent Move

Getting what seems to be a rare chance to add an entry. The hospital has been busy, and the en route care nurses are flying every day. There are five of us, and we take turns being "on call" for 48 hours. It isn't my turn to fly again until next week. Those that are not on standby to fly staff the shock/trauma bay and recovery/ward. When trauma comes in, we get a heads up, and usually it's an "all hands" effort. Every spare pair of hands is needed.
The sad reality is that there are IED blasts every day. I can't go into details due to security concerns, but we have unfortunatly received some high level patients recently.....these men continue to dedicate their lives to the security and wellbeing of Iraqis at the expense of their own health. Inspiring and humbling to all the staff. We are taking in patients every day and the hospital is humming with activity. Everyone is doing a fantastic job, and we are gelling together as a team very quickly.
Also, the Army has almost competed a Level III hospital (we are a level II....less diagnostic capability) right next door to us. They plan to be fully operational soon, and this will shut us down. The plan is to re-distribute us somewhere else in-theatre to "beef up" other Level II camps. Right now, my frontrunners are Ramadi or Falluja, but it's all just a big question mark right now.
Other than working, I have been catching up on my sleep and trying to keep myself healthy. The past few days have been rough, and I've been feeling a little under the weather. Hope to bounce back soon.......

I have updated the photo gallery and made some additions if you haven't taken a look in the past few days.
Also, I always make a little time to read the comments (thank you all!) but may not have time to address everyone individually on the blog itself. I have much better access to my military email account. Please drop a line when you get a chance......especially if you have questions about a post, or just want to say hello.
carl.goforth@acemnf-wiraq.usmc.mil

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carl,
Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well and that you seem to be so busy. Remember, you gotta take care of yourself so you can help others. Hang in there and know that you have a lot of relatives and friends that love you and are praying for you. As always, sending lots of love.
ChiTown Sandy

Anonymous said...

emailed you and called you tator. since you don't read this very much I'll call you tator here as well
I love tators though :)
Ness